For patients who struggle with dental anxiety, even routine cleanings and checkups can be a challenging and uncomfortable experience. Fortunately at Larson Dental, we offer oral sedation to help our patients overcome their fears. Your well-being is our priority! Once the appointment is over, you’ll be sent home to relax and recover until the medicine wears off completely.
Types of Treatment
We offer two methods of treatment, oral conscious sedation and nitrous oxide. Both medications help our patients relax and undergo dental procedures in a comfortable and relaxed state.
- Oral conscious sedation is a safe and productive way of experiencing dental treatment. With oral conscious sedation, the patient is conscious and able to communicate with Dr. Larson and his assistants. However, the patient will not feel any discomfort or pressure during the procedure and will not have to deal with their dental anxiety. The sedation is administered through a pill rather than requiring needles. Dosage is also tailored to each specific patient.
- Nitrous oxide, also known as laughing gas, is an excellent alternative to oral conscious sedation. Its sedative effect allows patients to feel very relaxed and makes even the most anxious patient feel at ease. Nitrous oxide differs from oral conscious sedation in the way that the sedative effect wears off soon after patients take off the mask, allowing them to drive themselves home from their appointment.
What to Expect From Sedation
Patients who chose oral conscious sedation will be asked to take medication prior to the dental procedure. One the treatment begins, patient’s shouldn’t be able to feel a thing. Although they’re awake throughout the procedure, the sedative causes them to be in such a relaxed state that they may not even remember being in the dental office.
Because it may take several hours for the medication to wear off completely, we recommend all our patients to arrange for someone to take them to and from their appointment.
Am I a Candidate for Sedation?
Although oral sedation is a great solution for patients dealing with anxiety, not every patient may qualify. Oral sedation is generally only recommended for patients who are in good health. Therefore, it’s important to consult with our Prescott Valley dentists in order to ensure that you qualify. Once you consult with Dr. Larson, he’ll be able to determine whether oral sedation is the right choice for you.
Oral sedation is a great option for candidates who:
- Have high anxiety when visiting the dentist
- Have had traumatic dental experiences in the past
- Have difficulty getting numb
- Have a strong gag reflex
- Are afraid of needles
- Have sensitive teeth and gums
- Hate the smells and noises associated with dental care
- Are anxious about dental treatments that require long treatment processes
If you struggle with dental anxiety and would like more information on oral sedation, contact Dr. Larson at Larson Dental. Our goal is to provide a comfortable and positive experience every time you come in for a visit.
Schedule Your Appointment Today
At Larson Dental, we prioritize the comfort and safety of all our patients. If you think you could benefit from dental sedation, contact our Prescott Valley practice and schedule a consultation by calling (928) 772-8128 or filling out our online form. With the help of sedation, we can help you stay relaxed and reduce your anxiety for future visits.
Will I still feel pain with sedation?
When you’re under sedation, you won’t feel any pain during your dental procedure. This makes sedation a great option for patients who have sensitive teeth or any other condition that causes discomfort. Whether you choose nitrous oxide or oral sedation, you’ll experience a wave of euphoria that will keep you feeling relaxed and pain-free throughout your appointment.
Will sedation put me to sleep?
With oral sedation, you’ll remain conscious and able to respond throughout your treatment. You won’t actually fall asleep or lose consciousness at any point during the procedure. However, you’ll be deeply relaxed and likely won’t remember your experience later, helping to reduce your anxiety for future treatments.
How long does it take to recover from sedation?
Your recovery time will depend on which method of sedation is used for your treatment. If you choose nitrous oxide, the effects can be reversed almost immediately after your appointment, allowing you to drive yourself home. If you choose oral conscious sedation, the effects can sometimes linger after treatment. As a result, you’ll need to arrange for a ride if you decide to go with oral sedation.
Is sedation dentistry safe?
Dental sedation is totally safe as long as it’s administered by a qualified dentist. If you suffer from dental anxiety or have sensitive teeth, sedation can eliminate your pain and fear, helping you get the treatment you need. Best of all, you’ll have little to no memory of your procedure, helping to reduce your phobia over time.
Make sure to discuss sedation options with your dentist in advance so they can evaluate any health conditions or other factors that may contribute to a complication.